The Swiss doctor and nutritionist Maximilian Bircher- Benner is known as the creator behind this delicious breakfast dish. Bircher, a pioneer in the field of nutrition, developed this recipe for the patients at his sanitarium in Zürich who were on a strict diet of fruits and vegetables. He was strong believer in raw foods- after claiming eating raw apples cured him of his jaundice- and he believed raw foods held the most nutritional value as they contained direct energy from the sun.
Bircher was a strong believer in harmony between people and nature -given the name of his clinic, “Vital Force”- and it was his observations of the shepherds in the Swiss Alps with their simple and healthy way of living that contributed to many of his ideas.
So not only is this dish delicious, but it is healthy ( and easy to make) too!
Learn to make it yourself:
Bircher Muesli via My Little Gourmet
- 2 cups/150g rolled or quick oats
- 1¾ cups/420ml milk
- ¼ cup/60ml apple juice
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 apple, cored and grated with the peel
- 1-2 tablespoons honey
- 1½ cups/375g plain yogurt
- A dash of cinnamon (optional)
- Toppings : your favorite fresh and/or dried fruit, nuts, toasted coconut, etc.
- Our favorites: blueberries, strawberries, raisins and hazelnut